Saturday, November 1, 2014

Categories and labels

I just reviewed the novel Warning Signs by Sheila Englehart. Click on Goodreads to read the review.

It's a paranormal book. Reviewing it made me think about the term paranormal and how broad it is. Sheila Englehart's novel has a séance, astral projection, visits from the dead, and a horrible, dark force, known as a leech.

My own books have also been called paranormal, but all they have to earn that term is past lives.

I use past lives as a means of writing historical fiction the way time travel books do. I think labels can steer readers to what they like, but they can also give them false expectations. I think the majority of books can fit into multiple categories and I wonder how many other writers have issues with those labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment