Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Literary Resolutions - 2011

I love New Year resolutions. Most of the reactions I get from my friends indicate that I'm in a minority when it comes to this. But to me they represent a chance to reevaluate how things are going and to get a fresh start.

2010 was a good year for me. Despite the economy I kept my job. Despite turning 60 I didn't have any serious health issues. And I had more fun with my writing than any other year I can think of. So for me the fresh start is probably less important this year than it has been in the past.

But here are the resolutions anyway:
1. Finish the sequel to Motherless Soul. I'm about halfway through, so this is doable, but I have to be careful not to rush and get sloppy. (I guess I'm hedging on this one already.)
2. Reread Anna Karenina. I've read it a few times, once even read it twice in a row, but it has been over five years since the last time.
3. Read Middlemarch. My daughter, who loves classics, gave me a copy last year, so I don't have an excuse not to get through it.

And here's another list. These are the ones I'm resolving to continue:

1. Keep up this blog. I hope since you're reading this, you'll be pleased about that.
2. Keep working with my writers' group. This one will be fun. I'm in a group with three other writers with work on a very high level. I love reading and critiquing what they write.
3. Keep up with my book club. We've got a very eclectic group, so the choices have exposed me to some interesting works I wouldn't have picked up on my own.
4. Keep up the effort to sell Motherless Soul. It's been out for more than a year now, so things have slowed down a bit, but the readings and signings are still fun.

That's it for mine. I hope everyone has a great 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment