Saturday, August 14, 2010

Author Interview - Harris Tobias

There will be a number of Author Interviews posted on my site for the next month or so. It's part of a publicity campaign conducted by my publisher, All Things That Matter Press. It also should be interesting to get to know something about the lives of a talented group of writers. I'm starting with Harris Tobias because his book is a fun read and that seems to be in keeping with this project.


Here are Some things That Matter To Author Harris Tobias:

Why should I read your book?

For entertainment. If you’re looking for deep meaning, The Greer Agency probably isn’t for you.

Are you a cat or a dog person?

We have always had both dogs and cats in our home, but if I had to choose, I’d go with dogs.

What do you like about writing?

I enjoy the inner world of my imagination. I often think I am telling myself a story while another part of me is trying its best to get it down on paper. I feel that the story is out there in its pure form by the time it has passed through my mind and fingers it is a poor imitation of what it was.


How do you reach your muse?

Whatever that inner voice is that tells the stories I call it my muse. I love when she is present and talking. Then I could write all day. When she’s absent I turn to other genres, write letters or read. I often sit with a notebook on my lap and let my mind wander. I find writing with a pen freer and easier then trying to force a story on the computer.


What does your muse look like?

I have absolutely no idea, but she has been kind and generous. I expect she is beautiful and voluptuous.


Do you listen to music while you write, or do you require total and utter silence?

Silence always. Music distracts me.

Why did you choose to write in your particular field or genre? If you write more than one, how do you balance them?

I write in several genres: science fiction, detective/crime, children’s stories, song lyrics. I like to give myself assignments like Let’s see if I can write five little stories involving aliens or ten animal fables. That’s how I wrote my novel The Greer Agency. I assigned myself the task of writing 15 connected stories.

What other books have you written?

The Greer Agency is my second novel. My first A Felony of Birds is available from Amazon.

Anything in the works?

I’m going to collect some of my short stories into two short story collections—one for sci-fi and one for crime fiction. Also I’m collaborating with a couple of illustrators to bring two books of fairy tales to market. I’m also working with a talented composer on a musical called Gumshoe based on the characters in The Greer Agency. This is all very exciting for me personally. I love collaborations.

How long have you been writing?

I have always written but there was never any time to do it seriously. Five years ago I retired and found the time to write every day. I think I’m getting better at it.

What cultural value do you see in writing/reading/storytelling/etc.?

Storytelling is as old as language itself. I am pleased to be a part of so basic a human tradition.

Do you write more by logic or intuition, or some combination of the two? Summarize your writing process.

Intuition entirely. I rarely know how a story will turn out when I begin. I love it when a story reveals itself to me. It’s a very mystical thing. It’s almost spooky how a small clue or description in the beginning of a story suddenly becomes crucial toward the end. Where did that come from. It’s amazing to me.

Do you count time or words to your daily regimen?

Words. I like to write a thousand words a day.

Who’s your publisher?

I have been extremely fortunate to have been picked up by All Things That Matter Press (ATTMP). Phil and Deb Harris have been a pleasure to work with. They are caring and sympathetic professionals who are willing to give previously unknown and unpublished authors a chance.

How can we find out more about you and your work?

I have a blog and I publish stories on Scribd also you can email me directly at
harristob@gmail.com .

1 comment: