Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Absolute Certainty - Rose Connors

Absolute Certainty : A Crime NovelAbsolute Certainty : A Crime Novel by Rose Connors

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


We downloaded this book from my local library and burned a CD for a trip we took recently. We were ten hours in the car both ways and this story made the ride seem much shorter.

The book is about Marty Nickerson, an ADA (Assistant District Attorney) in the Cape Cod area. That struck home for me since my son is an ADA in Charlotte, NC. Of course, if he is spending his time tracking down serial murderers he hasn't let his parents know.

One of the things I liked the most about this book was the author's respect for and knowledge about the law. She is constantly letting the reader know about the way the judicial process works in Massachusetts. During one scene her boss pulls her off a case because she doesn't believe Marty will do the best she can to prosecute the case. That was a mistake. Marty knows that for the system to work she has to do her job to the best of her ability even if she has concerns. Later on the judge looks over her notes and it is clear that was what she had planned to do.

The build up of suspense in this novel is handled very well. I was on the edge of my seat at times (not good since I was driving). I also loved trying to figure out how it was going to end. I was wrong, which says something for the unpredictable plot. But I thought there were too many coincidences at the end. That was my one complaint.

I recommend this book, especially the audio version. Bernadette Dunne was the reader. She did a superb job.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment