Tuesday, September 7, 2021

I read Father Melancholy's Daughter decades ago, before there were sites to post reviews. All I remembered about the book was that I loved it, especially when combined with its sequel, Evensong. So I decided to read them both again.


Father Melancholy's Daughter is the story of an Episcopal priest, Walter Gower, whose wife, Ruth, leaves him and his daughter, Margaret, in search of a life with more excitement and creativity. She takes off with an old friend who is a professional set designer for stage productions. It was expected that Ruth would be gone for a short time, but that time keeps growing. Eventually an event occurs which makes the departure permanent.

Walter Gower suffers from periods of depression he refers to as “The Black Curtain.” These existed prior to his wife's departure, but that event didn't help. Margaret, who is just six-years-old when her mother leaves, must step in to take on parts of the role her mother filled. She needs to help her father deal with his issues and also with problems around his church. As the year's go by, they grow closer. Although Margaret goes through the normal events of adolescence, such as her first sexual experiences, her studies, her college choice, and her first love, she is tied to her father in ways that are unusual and demanding.

Gail Godwin writes with a level of detail which builds a complete world for her readers. I loved the way she showed the inner workings of a church. The people are real and talk more about literature, building issues and rituals than about God. These people also have their failings, including a tendency to laugh at some of their parishioners behind their backs. If I may adapt a quote from Matthew, the novel shows us that “wherever two or more are gathered in my name” there will be gossip and arguments as well as love and help.

I'm glad I went back and reread Father Melancholy's Daughter. I'm looking forward to Evensong.


No comments:

Post a Comment