Saturday, February 23, 2019

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

The White Queen (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #2)The White Queen by Philippa Gregory
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

“The White Queen” by Philippa Gregory is the story of Elizabeth Woodville who married Edward IV in 1464 and became the Queen of England. She is the daughter of Jacquetta of Luxembourg, the woman who was featured in Gregory's novel “The Lady of the Rivers”.

Edward IV was a descendant of Edward I, who I believe was also one my ancestors. One of these days I will have my DNA analyzed to find out for sure, but that is the story that has been passed down through generations of my family and part of my motivation to read Gregory's “The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels”. Regardless of what I discover, I'm glad I read the first two and I'm certain I will enjoy the others.

I liked “The White Queen”, but didn't feel it was as exciting as “The Lady of the Rivers”, partially because some major sections were presented from Elizabeth Woodville's point of view while she was locked in Westminster Abbey where she'd gone seeking sanctuary from her political rivals. This meant that some battles were described through second and third hand rumors told to her rather than by characters who had been in the fights.

Gregory's books are historical fiction and the fiction portions contain some magic. This aspect adheres to the beliefs of the time and gives “The White Queen” a sense of reality it would lack if the author had ignored everything supernatural. It's also fun.

The novel brings out the self importance felt by the royalty, but also the burdens. Here's a quote from Elizabeth as she thinks of one of her sons:

“Perhaps he will be an ordinary boy and I will become an ordinary woman again. Perhaps we will not be great people, chosen by God, but just happy.”

Steve Lindahl – author of Motherless Soul, White Horse Regressions, Hopatcong Vision Quest, and Under a Warped Cross.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment