Saturday, December 11, 2010

Multitasking books and other things

I just finished one of the three books I was reading, The Help. People who know me know that multitasking is not one of my strengths, so reading more than one book at a time is unusual for me.

I’m on the road close to two hours a day. It used to be a burden until I started listening to audio books regularly. I download most of the novels I listen to from the library. North Carolina has a digital collection that is available to people with cards for the Greensboro library and the Forsyth County library and I use both those systems.

So last week I was in the middle of a print copy of The Risk Pool by Richard Russo, Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, and The Help by Kathryn Stockett. The Risk Pool was my book club’s selection for this month as well as the one I was enjoying during my actual reading time. The Help is the choice for next month. I borrowed a set of CD’s for that one. And Middlesex is the latest book I’ve downloaded from the library. Since that one isn’t on a schedule it is the one I’m starting and stopping along the way.

In addition to these three novels, I’m also halfway through writing my own book, a sequel to Motherless Soul that is coming along well, but is still at least a year away from completion.

I’m sure this won’t be the last time I try reading (and writing) multiple books simultaneously. It’s a process I’m enjoying.

One other note - Since this is the holiday season reading isn't my only multitasking. I've been helping Toni get ready for our family Christmas and preparing for our church choir's musical presentation which this year will include Pergolesi's The Magnificat, a difficult piece that has been a fun and satisfying challenge for our choir.

I love this time of year, but it can be exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment