Sunday, January 3, 2010

Readings

Yesterday I posted a video of me reading from my book, Motherless Soul, on my blog and my website. I thoroughly enjoyed the process of recording it and posting it, but I'm not certain that's a good thing. Books are supposed to be an art form that has two creators, the writer and the reader. I love to read my work because I interpret it exactly the way I had in mind when I wrote the words. That may be satisfying to my ego, but it limits the final creation.



There is a difference, of course, when the reading is a public reading. (I had one of those in November.) When I participate in an event such as that I get feedback, either from people who have read my work or people who have listened to the ideas we discussed while talking about the book. I have a book signing scheduled for Jan 23 at Park Road Books in Charlotte, so I should have a chance to speak to some interesting people at that event. It should be fun.

I am also in the process of scheduling a discussion of my book during our church's Coffee and Conversation meeting that occurs each Sunday after the worship service. That should be very interesting because Motherless Soul is about past lives. I don't believe reincarnation and the Christian version of heaven are mutually exclusive, but it will be interesting to find out how others feel about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment